Some useful links for (future) mums and dads in the Hague. If you have any questions other parents may be able to answer, feel free to drop-in on Friday mornings or ask members of our Facebook Group.
Childbirth preparation classes in English
- Birth in Holland – Confident Birth courses in The Hague, Delft and Rotterdam
- ACCESS – six-week courses on weekday evenings at Bronovo Hospital
- Mindful Birth –
- Option 1: three half-day (Saturday) workshops (in Oegstgeest, near Leiden Centraal Station and just off the A44) everything you’d expect from a birth preparation course as well as learning mindfulness skills, proven to help cope with pain. This includes access to the online course materials (see Option 3)
- Option 2: private sessions – tailored to your needs, face-to-face or web-based meetings via Skype, also including access to the online course materials
- Option 3: self-study online childbirth preparation course – a six-step programme using videos, PDFs, imagery and MP3s makes for an involved experience that you can follow and replay whenever you like
Exercise during pregnancy
- Perinatal Physio – physical therapy for pregnancy and post-partum
- Pregnancy yoga and relaxation classes – course in English, given at Bronovo hospital
- Mommy is Fit – aquanatal classes on Thursdays 10:30-11:15 and postnatal pilates classes (babies welcome too) on Thursdays 9:30-10:15. Both at the Carlton Beach Health Club, Scheveningen
- BodyFlex 100% Catharina – yoga and pilates classes during and after pregnancy, in English (on request, minimum 4 participants)
- Arlin Lagendijk Personal Training – pre-pregnancy, prenatal, postnatal and mommy fitness programs that are personalised and mobile for your convenience: exercise in your home, favourite outdoor spot or office. No need to worry about childcare or membership fees.
Information on having a baby in the Netherlands
- Access Guide to having a baby in the Netherlands
- PassionateParenting.nl – the experts in expat parent education; supporting parents in their challenging and rewarding task of nurturing happy, healthy, and well-behaved children
- On raising bilingual children – Eowyn Crisfield’s blog with tips and information on raising bi/multi-lingual children
- Dream Angus – working with you to improve your child’s sleep
Hospital Information Evenings
- Bronovo – every month in Dutch, every 6 months in English
- Geboortekliniek Den Haag – usually on 1st monday of every month
- Haga Ziekenhuis
Doulas (support during childbirth)
- Doula Louise – Expat Doula in The Hague. Louise is currently offering doula services for free as part of her doula training.
- MamaSu (Facebook Page) – Mother Support/Doula Services with Esther, travelling within 45 minutes of Rijswijk/The Hague.
- Upendo Doula – Pregnancy & Birth support in Leiden. Naomie is offering doula services at a reduced fee whilst working towards her certification.
- Helen Marshall – lactation consultant (consultations at your home) and kraamzorg
- Vita Nova Breastfeeding Centre – maternity shop, lactation consultancy, breastfeeding cafe (on Fridays 10:00-12:00) and rent-a-carrier
Health and wellbeing
- Body, Mind and Soul Retreat Days – for expectant, new and experienced Mums. Total nurture! Celebrate yourself, your motherhood and learn how to rest and care for yourself in new ways. Ideas that you can come back to again and again.
- Natalie Carstens | The Birth Photographer – Documentary family photographer with a love of capturing personal stories of pregnancy, childbirth and the precious early weeks at home with a newborn baby
- Vinita Salomé Photography – Lifestyle portrait photographer, exclusively for families with young children
Gifts and Equipment Hire
- Baby Wish List – helpful service for baby shower gifts (hampers) and people who might need extra baby/toddler equipment while they find their own or have friends and family visiting
- Pregnancy Loss Support Group (in English) – A support group for parents who lost babies during or right after pregnancy. Lead by Noa Brume, a professional counsellor specialising in the subject. Meetings are informal but with a discussion topic.